Half-Crunchy

Only half-cruncy. Don't worry, I am still a card-carrying member of the meat-eating club although some vegetarian tortilla soup with avocado slices and sour cream sounds really good right now! I say I am half-crunchy because I like to make my own babyfood, I do buy some but I only use it if I don't have fresh veggies or fresh fruit on hand to cook and mush up for Skye. She also gets the booby juice, no formula here. Nothing against formula but my boobs make milk for free so I might as well use it. I also don't trust these companies that make the formula to make it safe, I have lost a lot of faith in our processed food makers as of late. In light of the breast-feeding and fresh food mashing, cloth diapering seemed like a great next step in being half-crunchy. It is something I have wanted to do for awhile now but I had visions of how the diapers were 30 years ago. Of course I was a newborn 30 years ago but I can remember the plastic pants and I have heard the stories of nasty leaks and rough fabrics against babies soft skin so I was afraid to give it a go. I finally started researching it more last month and found out this ain't your momma's cloth diaper! There are so many options and they are actually really cute! I started to get excited thinking about never spending money on a disposable again. I got excited knowing I wouldn't be putting my kids shitty diaper in a landfill where it will take 300 years to go away. I also went through some reciepts and found out I have spent $300 on diapers in the past few months, ick! The average child will go through about $1500-$2000 disposables. For my little soaker we would be on the higher end of that so the cloth diapers make more sense for us finalcially. I will also be switching to using baby washcloths dipped in a homemade butt cleaning solution instead of wipes. More $$ saving goodness. My next step in being half-crunchy will be to make my own laundry detergent and household cleaners. I have found some great recipes online and they are actually a lot cheaper to make than they are to buy. Plus I will know that my kids aren't coming in contact with harsh chemicals that I know nothing about. I am trying to limit high fructose corn syrup but with over a dozen boxes of girl scout cookies in the pantry that is a crunchy battle that I think I will lose!

Comments

  1. I was thinking about the cleaning products also....until I read that Borax (which is the main ingredient in most of the above) should be used in light moderation and never around children...so if I am cleaning Evan's dishes with 1/4 cup of borax...ehhh...kind of scared about it...if you do try it I hear vinegar or citrus juice takes off the white film that the homemade solution leaves behind.
    I found a good sounding recipe for clothes too...but Jay was afraid that they would fade the clothes quicker or iritiate his sensitvie skin...so let me know on that one! The liquid one sounded safer to me, who knows?
    Keep me posted!

    GO FORMULA!!!!! I STILL HAVE PERKY BOOBIES AND EVAN IS BRILLIANT :)
    Sorry had to stand up for myself there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not going to use it for washing dishes. My dishwasher is still going to get cascade. I am trying to find a formula for clothes detergent that doesn't contain borax.

    I wasn't knocking the formula users, I never said anything about my child being smarter. Lexi had formula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog from the Bargain board... Great post! I'm curious about cloth-diapering, too. I'd checked it out a couple of years ago, but didn't really do much about it while pregnant with my little one who is now 3 months old. Did you start it yet? How was it transitioning from disposables to cloth? What/how much did you buy to start? :) I'm thinking of making the switch once school is out, so I'm very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been doing it for 2 months now and I love it! I wish I would have started from the get-go! It was an easy transition. I only had 17 to start with so I was washing them at the end of everyday. I now have 27 and I am actually making some more on my own. I am in love with the fuzzi bunz pockets. I got all of my fuzzi bunz on the cloth diaper swap on bbc. I got my prefolds and covers from cotton babies.com
    I made some cloth wipes using some inexpensive flannel from wal-mart on one side a clearance washcloths from target on the other. They are so cute and soft but the first diaper I made is ugly! I have the pics on bbc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts