Homemade Vanilla

I have thought for many years about making my own vanilla extract. Even the "pure" expensive stuff has added water and sugar. I want my vanilla to taste like pure vanilla, not just like sweet vanilla flavored watered down alcohol. I wanted to have some in time for holiday baking this year but I've procrastinated and am just now getting around to it. I thought I'd share with you a few different ways you can make your own vanilla and you can find pretty jars with lids nearly anywhere making the homemade vanilla a great gift for a friend who bakes!

You are going to need 200ml vodka, rum, or for a super full flavor, brandy. Make sure you get really good quality, if you wouldn't want it in a drink you are going to want it in your baking.

You are also going to need some vanilla beans, I get mine from Penzey's, if you don't have one in your area you can find them online at www.penzeys.com.


So, we have our alcohol and our beans, what next? Just split the beans down the middle making sure to keep the ends intact. Then put them in the bottle of rum, vodka, or brandy, put the lid back on and give it a good shake. Store in a dark, dry place and give it a shake weekly, store for 4 to 5 months to develop a good flavor. Then bake a cake with it, you will be amazed at how much better it is!

Comments

  1. how did it come out? What's the approximate cost? Am I asking too many questions..? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts