Homemade Sub Rolls: Tutorial

There is nothing like the smell of baking bread, it fills the house with warmth and the feeling of family.....and it smells good too! Home-baked bread is easy to make, requires minimal effort, and just a little bit of time and the results are well worth it.

Today we'll be baking sub rolls, I adapted this recipe from a french bread recipe that I use out of a bread baking book from 1976 that my mom received as a wedding gift. It's one of my most-used books and is what I started with when I decided to introduce myself to bread baking. I hope to introduce you to bread baking, I hope to make it look easy and blow the myth that yeast baking is hard or super time consuming right out of the water.

First, a few things about baking. Don't worry about getting the water too hot, yeast blooms at 105-115 degrees, most water heaters are set to around 110 so if you use your hottest tap water you should be fine. You can use a stand mixer to knead the dough, I have one but I prefer not to use it for baking, I tend to go by the feel of the bread and I enjoy the process of kneading, it's like a mini workout and for me, it's a stress reliever. Don't sweat the small stuff, if it comes out ugly but tastes good then you have been successful!

After much ado, here we go! You are going to want to start this one in the morning or at least before noon to have it ready by dinner.

1 package active dry yeast

1 1/4 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon shortening
3 1/2 to 4 cups bread flour (you can also use all purpose)
1 tablespoon cornmeal
cold water
1 egg white
2 tablespoons cold water

Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl.


Stir in the salt, shortening, and 1 1/2 cups of the flour.

Beat with a large spoon until smooth, it will look like this:


Stir in enough remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle, I usually do this step with my hands, it's just easier to incorporate the flour that way.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface (our put into your stand mixer with the dough hook) and knead until smooth and elastic, this typically takes about 5 minutes.


Place in a greased bowl, I use olive oil, I just pour it into the bowl and wipe the excess up with a paper towel.


Turn the bread greased side up, cover with a damp towel, and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If you have a proof setting on your oven, use it, it speeds up the rising quite a bit!


Your dough will be ready when you press it and the dent remains.



Punch down the dough, gather it into a ball and let rise until almost double again, about 45 minutes.


Punch down again, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes

Lightly grease a baking sheet, again I use olive oil, and sprinkle with cornmeal.

Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, roll each part into a rectangle roughly 6x5 inches. Roll up starting at one of the long sides, pinch the edge to seal.


Make a slash lengthwise on the top of each loaf, place on the baking sheet, brush with the cold water, and let rice uncovered until double, about 40 minutes.


In the meantime, heat your oven to 375.

Bake your loaves for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and brush with beaten egg white mixed with cold water. Sprinkle with salt, poppy seeds, garlic salt, herbs.......whatever you like, or just leave it plain. Bake 10 minutes longer then enjoy.


Comments

  1. Those look awesome, must try. Found your blog through BBC well BHB. Great recipes and tutorials, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I update as often as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome recipe. I have never made bread before and I usually mess up everything I cook. I followed this recipe to a T and the bread came out perfect. Delicious. Thank you for the help impressing the hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts