Whole wheat muffins......with options!

I'm starting to think picky kids is an oxymoron, it seems as if they are all picky these days, mine included! It gets frustrating watching them eat the same thing every day.......and it gets boring making the same thing every day. My former veggie lover had quit broccoli cold turkey and taken up with yogurt, cheese, and banana. Those aren't bad foods but she already takes miralax daily and those 3 foods just make things worse. I knew I had to find a way to sneak veggies and fiber into her diet, and it wouldn't hurt to have a few new things for my super picky "I won't like it if you want me to even though I liked it yesterday" 12 year old.

Inspiration came one night when I made mine quiches in my mini muffin pan. My toddler went nuts over them. And my 12 year old liked them too. Since then I've realized that my toddler will eat anything in muffin or pizza form! I can do muffins and pizza! That might be all I do for the next year but I can put anything into muffins or on top of english muffins, bagels, pitas, or dough for pizza!

My muffin recipe has been requested so here it is. This is a basic recipe and you can add spices and herbs to suit your tastes, add shredded carrots, zucchini, diced cheese and ham, mashed banana, blueberries, raisins and nuts.....whatever you like.

3 tablespoons applesauce
1.5 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1/4 cup honey or sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 cup of milk
spices to taste
shredded fruit or veggies to taste


Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. If you are using any spices/herbs, add them now. Today I made apple muffins so I added about a teaspoon and a half of cinnamon. Ginger works well with carrot-pineapple, and baking spice goes nicely with zucchini





Beat together the milk, eggs, honey, and applesauce in another bowl.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it. Stir until the dry ingredients are moist, the batter will be thick and lumpy, that's how it's supposed to be.


see, still lumpy but it's mixed, I promise!!

Add your shredded apples, carrots, zucchini, nuts, raisins......whatever....now. I used two apples today. Fold whatever you add in gently.

Put into your prepared muffin cups, I use mini ones because the kids find them more fun to eat. Sprinkle with a bit of wheat germ for an extra punch of nutrition and nutty flavor.


Bake mini-muffins at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean, regular sized muffins bake for 20-30 minutes.

Watch your little ones enjoy them.......




then ask for more!...



I have also come up with pizza muffins, mini-quiches filled with veggies, and some great pizza recipes, I will be doing an entire kids food week soon so stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts