It's Always Sunny in Florida Cheesesteaks




I love a good Philly cheesesteak. But I don't live in Philly and I can never seem to duplicate that great Philly taste.

I also love the show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and I'm a word nerd, hence the name of my cheesesteak creation.

These cheesesteaks are quick and easy and can be made with just about any cut of beef, I tend to go with what's on sale so these were made with thinly cut top round. I don't measure much when I'm creating recipes so forgive me if say things like "just throw a bit in there" or "about a tablespoon.....or three" I cook by feel and I constantly taste as I go along. I encourage you to do the same, don't be afraid to substitute or experiment with flavors and ingredients!

1.5 lbs thinly sliced beef (top round is good and inexpensive)
1 loaf of cuban bread or sub rolls
6 to 8 slices of provolone cheese
3 tablespoons of butter
Heinz 57
olive oil
worcestershire sauce
1 large sweet onion, I recommend vidalia if you can get them
1 large bell pepper
season salt or homemade seasoning mix.....or your choice of seasoning


Preheat your oven to 350. Lay out your rolls or bread on a baking sheet so they are ready to receive the cheesesteak-y love that is coming. Set aside.

Slice your beef into thin strips across the grain, you want this tough cut of meat to be easy to chew, shortening the grains helps tremendously. Sprinkle your beef generously with your choice of seasoning (I like my seasoning mix, it contains equal amounts of paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and brown sugar) toss the beef to get that seasoning all over it. Set aside



Slice your bell pepper and onion into thin slices.



Now you are prepped and ready to get cookin'!

Get a large saute or frying pan on the stove and heat that puppy up, medium heat is good. Once the pan is good and hot, throw some olive oil in the pan, a few drizzles will do, approx 2 tablespoons. Hot pan+cold oil= success!
Now put your meat in the pan and resist the temptation to turn it over. You want that meat to get a nice caramelization on it, you want it to be nice and brown.
Once it is cooked through, remove it from the pan and put it directly onto the bread halves. Keep the drippings in the pan, you need them.


Add 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan drippings, go ahead and add a tablespoon or so of the heinz 57 as well and give it a good stir to combine it all.

Add the onions and bell peppers and get them good and soft. Sprinkle with some worcestershire, do this to taste, I used 10 or so sprinkles, you may want more or less. Give it a good stir. Put the onions and bell peppers on the other half of the sandwiches and top with one slice of the provolone cheese.


If you have leftover peppers and onions, put them in a container and stash in your fridge to throw into some eggs or a burrito for breakfast. Yum.



Pour the drippings in the pan over the meat on the sandwiches then top the meat with a slice of provolone. Put the sandwich halves together and squish down, I just use my hands, and put in the oven for about 10 minutes.


Enjoy with a cold beer........or some sweet iced tea!

Comments

  1. This looks really good, but can you also post the recipe of what you have in the pita/salad main pic? That looks really good to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe is on here under Bahrain Burgers!
    http://fiftieswife.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts