Fusion For Dinner

I have a new recipe for you guys and it is AWESOME! A little bit Asian, a little bit Indian, a little bit...Heather! When I went into the kitchen tonight I had sort of an idea of what I wanted to make but had no recipe to use so I winged it and didn't even think to grab my camera to document it for the blog. Don't worry, I'll be making it again, probably next week, and I'll take pics of the process then.
I don't have much experience with stir-fries and I'm sure I missed the mark of an authentic one here but it was tasty, healthy, and the ginger-garlic flavors were amazing. I finally got brave and used my curry powder and am happy to report that it wasn't overpowering and it gave the rice just enough spice to add an extra layer of flavor to the overall meal.


This recipe, if you can call it that, isn't hard at all but you are going to want your ingredients prepped. Cut your veggies, and your pork or chicken if you use it, ahead of time. And make your ginger-garlic paste ahead of time too, it's easy, I promise! Once you start cooking the pork and veggies you don't step away from the pan until you are done, the cooking itself is very quick.

Enough of my rambling, lets get cooking!

Coconut Rice
1 cup of basmati, rinsed and soaked for about 20 minutes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can of coconut milk
water
2 tsp. curry powder, I like Penzey's sweet curry powder
olive oil

Heat (medium heat) up a pot that has a tight fitting lid. When the pot has warmed up add about a tablespoon or so of olive oil and throw in your minced garlic. Cook it until the garlic is fragrant and soft then remove and discard the garlic. Then add your curry powder and stir it around, anyone who is in the house with you will ask you what that great smell is. Let the curry powder infuse the oil for a couple of minutes then add your drained rice and stir it around making sure the infused oil coats it well. Then add your coconut milk and water, the general rule is to use two part liquid per one part rice but I never measure, I just add liquid until it's about 2-3" above the rice. Let it come to a boil then reduce to low, cover, and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
If you replace the curry powder with some vanilla sugar and a tiny bit of cardamom and chill the rice once it's done you'll have a fantastic Indian-style rice pudding!


Pan Asian Pork Stir-Fry

3 pork tenderloin filets cut into 1" strips
1 slice of bacon, chopped
2 zucchini, cut into thick 1" strips
1 head of broccoli, I use just the florets for my picky family, blanched
1 cup of shredded carrots
1 small head of cabbage, shredded and blanched (I would rather use bok choy here but I had plain old cabbage so it's what I used....I love no rules cooking!)
6 cloves garlic, made into a paste
fresh ginger, I used a 3" piece, made into a paste
1 tbsp. cornstarch
juice of 1 lime
a bit of soy sauce, if you like it use a lot, if not use a little
some of the coconut milk from the rice pot

Put the cornstarch, juice of 1 lime, a bit of soy sauce, and some cold water into a small bowl and give it a good stir. Add a bit of the coconut milk from the rice pot and stir again. Set this aside to use for later.


You want me to what?! Yes, I said make a paste with the garlic and ginger, don't worry it doesn't take any special equipment. Just chop them both up really fine then use the flat part of your chef's knife (you want plenty of surface area) and a bit of salt and rub it firmly against the cutting board until you get a paste. The easier way would be with a mortar and pestle but I don't have one at the moment so this way is just fine.


Get a large pan. LARGE. Biggest one ya got. Heat it up over medium-high heat, once it is hot add your bacon and render it, remove the bacon and eat it before your family smells it and invades the kitchen. If you need a bit more oil just add some canola or olive as long as it isn't extra virgin (that stuff doesn't hold up well over high heat) and add about 1/3 of your garlic-ginger paste and give it a stir. Then throw in your pork tenderloin and let it sizzle until it's done. Add a bit of soy sauce here if you want a bit of extra flavor.

Once the pork is done remove it to a bowl or plate or your counter if that's how you roll. Let the pan heat back up and add more oil if you need it and add 1/3 of your ginger-garlic paste and throw in your blanched broccoli and the carrots. Keep those veggies moving until they are crisp-tender, put them in the bowl with the pork tenderloin. Add more oil if needed and add your cabbage and stir until it is tender, add it to the bowl with the other stuff. Now let that pan get rocket hot again, add a small bit of oil and the rest of your ginger-garlic paste and stir, stir, stir. Throw your zucchini into the pot making sure that you are stirring the whole time. Once the zucchini are getting nicely browned add that little bowl of sauce you made with the corn starch and other stuff. Get it all mixed up with the zucchini then dump it all into the bowl with the veggies and pork and toss to coat everything with the sauce.

To serve just put some of the rice on the plate and cover it with the veggie and pork mixture. This dish is really great, even my picky kids liked it!

Comments

  1. I am a pictures person, Where are the pics to make me drool!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I make it I will post pics, I promise! I will probably make it again next week so you won't have to wait long for pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts