Caramelized Onion and Chicken Quesadillas


I'm in love with caramelized onions. I don't know exactly when this love affair started but it has been getting worse.....or better. I want caramelized onions everyday, and no, I'm not pregnant! I just can't get enough of them, they are fantastic as a garnish for lentils and rice. And they just melt into creamy goodness when you cook them long and slow and throw them into some tomato soup. And in this recipe, they add a depth and richness that will make restaurant quesadillas seem insipid by comparison. I bet they would be even better on the grill.....might have to try that next time.

I'm also including a little guacamole recipe, it isn't authentic I'm sure, but it is quite tasty, creamy, and easy.

Here is what you'll need:

For the Guacamole:
1 avocado
juice of 1 lime
2 chopped garlic cloves
1/2 c. plain yogurt

Mash the avocado with all of the other ingredients and mix until smooth. Or leave a bit chunky if that is your preference.


And for the Quesadillas:
Tortillas, the small taco size work great for this
chicken breasts, I used 3 for my family of 4, cook them however you like and shred or dice them. This is a good way to use leftovers
3 or 4 onions, sliced
fresh or frozen corn kernels, about a cup or so
shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheeses
taco sauce, red sauce, hot sauce.....you get the idea
salt, pepper, cilantro
sour cream and salsa for serving

Get a pan going over medium heat. Add some olive oil and throw in your sliced onions.

Let them cook until soft then turn your heat to medium-low and add some salt and pepper. Let them cook until they are starting to get sticky and are caramel-colored. This takes about 15-20 minutes, don't rush it by turning the heat up, your patience here will be rewarded, I promise.
Once the onions are nice and caramelized, add your corn kernels.

Give it a good stir and turn the heat back up to medium, let the corn start to get light brown and add your cooked chicken.

Cook it until it is all heated through. Resist the urge to eat onions straight out of the pan. Nah, don't resist it, give in and eat a few, they are great!!

For your next step just throw a couple of tortillas in the pan and let them get brown, flip them and put the chicken mixture on them and top with shredded cheese. Add another tortilla on top and cook until the cheese melts.


Serve with the guacamole, sour cream and salsa for dipping. Or if you are anti-avocado like my husband, just salsa spiked with a ton of hot sauce.

As you can see, I burnt mine a bit. That's what I get for making the plates for my husband and kids while I'm still cooking mine! They were still super tasty so no big deal!


Comments

Popular Posts