Double B Bread


The double B's are Banana and Blueberry, of course! I adapted this recipe from a Banana Bread recipe that my sister gave me. It is healthy and delicious. By healthy I don't mean low in calories, I don't know how many are in each slice, but it is made with healthy ingredients and is much better for you than a lot of sweet breads. This is a fast recipe to put together but it takes for-ev-er to bake so if you want to take it to an afternoon tea (haha, or beer pong party) make sure you give yourself plenty of time to bake it. Don't expect to get any if you put it on the table and walk away, it will be gone fast! And if you leave it on your counter overnight expecting to have a nice, thick slice in the morning with a steaming cup of coffee......well all I can say, is hide that slice somewhere because someone else is bound to wake up before you and polish of the loaf!

My nearly 3 year old took the reins in making the bread this time. I love cooking with my kids and encourage you to cook with kids too, whether they are yours or you have to borrow them from someone you know! Kids are fun to hang out with, they are funny, and they love to explore the different smells, flavors, and textures that cooking provides. All I did was measure the ingredients and I let my daughter go to town dropping them into the bowl and mixing. She even cracked the eggs herself......or more accurately, crushed the eggs! I helped her pour it into the pan, she put the oat bran on top and I put it into the oven. She was very proud when her bread came out of the oven, she was even more proud when I put a slice in front of her to eat.



You can also make muffins with this recipe, just adjust the cooking time accordingly, I'd start checking regular-sized muffins for done-ness after 30 minutes.

A word about the bananas, use very ripe bananas, as mushy as they can get without actually going bad.


Double B Bread:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 c. plain yogurt (non-fat works fine...I've also used vanilla yogurt and it was good)
2 eggs
1/3 c. applesauce (or vegetable oil)
1 tsp. almond extract (use vanilla if you like)
1 cup or so of blueberries (we didn't measure, we just added them by the tiny handful)
Oat bran, if desired

Preheat your oven to 350 F

Mix your flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.









Mix everything else except for the blueberries together in a large bowl until well combined. Stir in your flour mixture until it is just wet. Add the blueberries and mix until they are incorporated into the dough. It will be thick, if you have a tiny tot stirring you might need to help a bit. Pour into a standard loaf pan, sprinkle with the oat bran if you are using it, and bake for 55-65 minutes.




I had to bake mine for an hour and 15 minutes today but on less humid days I have baked it for about an hour, start checking after 55 minutes with a toothpick or knife inserted into the bread.

If you want to make smaller loaves just adjust the baking time so they don't burn. And if the top starts to brown too quickly just throw some aluminum foil on top of it.


She even took time out of her busy painting schedule to have some bread for a snack, she wanted the bits that stuck in the pan!

Comments

  1. Update on the calories! A friend of mine use the recipe to make 16 standard-sized muffins and plugged the information into spark people. According to the website each muffin has 168 calories and less than 2 g. of fat! So they are healthy and won't wreck your waistline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm buying the ingredients for the bread today, all i need is the whole wheat flour, blueberries, and plain yogurt. Can't wait to bake it later tonight =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts