Sicilian Beef Sandwiches


Picture it. Sicily, 2011. Yeah, I wish. Actually, it is Florida, 2011 and I'm part Sicilian......but I digress. These sandwiches are given the Sicilian moniker because of the pepper rings, they are always something that show up on antipasti platters. At least in my family, right next to the garlic-stuffed olives, and celery stuffed with chopped pecans mixed with cream cheese. The celery is southern though, not Sicilian. And again, I digress. I may be rambling today, I have a migraine and find it hard to type and focus but it's been so long since I've blogged that I have a must.get.it.done. mentality right now.

Anyway, this recipe came to me after I purchased tri-tip from our local meat market for the first time. If you don't have tri-tip then just use any cut of steak or beef that you want.

And if you want these done without having the mess with them much then just throw a beef roast in your crockpot with a jar of the sliced peppers and a cut up onion and let it go all day long. All you'll need to do is shred it up with a fork and place on a bun with some cheese. Easy and yumtastic.

Here's what you'll need:
Tri-tip, I think I had a little over a pound
16 oz. jar of mild pepper rings (this is the smallest I found, I only used half of it)
2 cubanelles, sliced thinly
1 onion
16 oz. of really good mozzarella (get the real stuff, it is worth it) sliced thick
italian bread, sub rolls, onion rolls, whatever vehicle you like to move this fantastic meal into your mouth



Start by heating up some olive oil over medium in a pan and add your sliced onions. Season them up with salt and pepper.


While those are going, slice your steak across the grain into thin flat pieces. I forgot to take a picture of this part. I need a photographer in my kitchen with me, when I get cooking I can't always stop to pick up the camera! Anyway, season the slices with whatever floats your boat and set them aside.

Slice your bread down the middle and kind of press it down to make a little trench or well, you'll want to hold all that meat and goodness in!




By now your onions should be nice and soft. Add the peppers to the pan, go ahead and throw some of the pepper juice in there too. Be prepared for the vinegar to kind of take your breath away, at least it does that to me. Let it all cook down until the peppers and onions are nice and soft. There should be just a little liquid left in the pan.



Remove the onions and peppers and divide them up between your rolls, go ahead and top with the slices of mozzarella.

Turn the pan up to medium-high and cook the beef quickly. When it is done add it to the rolls with the cheese and peppers. Wrap the sandwiches and let them rest for a few minutes so the meat juices settle and the pepper and onion juices soak into the bread and the cheese gets melty.

Serve with roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli.........or whatever else you might like! The crock pot option is great for parties, this is a really popular dish.

Comments

Popular Posts