Roasted and Smashed Potatoes with Toppings!



Lately I've been making things like roasted chicken tacos with avocado and tomato salsa, homemade spinach pasta, spinach frittata, and pizza with spinach pesto. I've joined a small organic produce co-op and have been loving the fresh veggies. But my kids keep apparently don't like spinach and keep saying "ew, I don't like this" Or to be more accurate, teen says that and even if tot is scarfing dinner down by the handful, as soon as she hears big sister say "ew" she is done too. Sigh.

So tonight I decided to take a break from spinach. Ok, I was asked by teen to please not make anything with spinach again. She requested baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese. I think that is kind of boring and was in the mood for something a little different so I decided to expand on the idea a bit.

It was good. Very good. Both of the girls asked for seconds. For a minute I thought I was hallucinating but when tot shoved her plate in my hands and said "mama, please, more deeennir, I hungwy" I knew that they liked it, they really liked it!




Potatoes: I used small yukon golds, use whatever potatoes you like
broccoli, 1 head
about 1/3 of a block of sharp cheddar
5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine (did you know the nutrition benefits of garlic are improved the more they are chopped....there's your fun fact of the day!)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees

Boil the potatoes until they are almost done. They need to be soft enough to squish with a potato masher or pastry cutter.


Steam your broccoli until it is almost done. Add 1 tbsp. of butter (oh come on now, 1 tablespoon for a whole head of broccoli isn't that bad!)


While the potatoes are boiling sautee your garlic until it just starts to get soft. Do not brown it, you are putting it in the oven and don't want it to burn!


Drain your potatoes and put them on a dishtowel and pat them dry. Salt the skins a bit. Put them on a baking sheet and press down on them with a potato masher, pastry cutter, or even a large fork. Top each potato with a small bit of butter, some of the sauteed garlic, and some salt and pop them into the oven for about 10 minutes or until they are just getting golden.


Pull them out of the oven, top with the broccoli and cheese and pop them back into the oven until the cheese is melty and bubbly and divine.


Be prepared to hear little (and big) voices asking for more! I think I might try to hide some spinach under that cheese next time!



Comments

Popular Posts