Apple Cobbler with Almond-Vanilla Whipped Cream



Oh the shame, I'm using a cell phone picture on my blog! I meant to take pictures but as I've mentioned before, when I'm cooking I often forget to pick up the camera or I just don't want to touch it with messy hand so pictures aren't taken. This was one of those times. I canned apples for the first time. Actually, it was my first time canning anything. I was pretty excited, I had visions of my pantry being chock full of things that I "put up" myself.

Then I started peeling apples. 40 of them. And I decided that if I ever felt the need to make canned apples for baking and homemade applesauce again that I would invest in an apple peeler that does the work for me. Once I had the apples peeled I cored and wedged them and started the cooking process. And I started the water in my huge canning bucket (it might be called a pot but some but to me it is a cooking bucket!) so it would come to a boil. I didn't realize that it would take nearly 2 hours (even on high) to come to a boil!

So I started packing my apples into the jars, I made the amount of syrup called for and it wasn't enough so I just made more according to my own recipe and it was a lot tastier and made the perfect amount. I like to take liberties with my recipes so I probably wouldn't be a good jelly maker but apple sauce and apples for baking are pretty forgiving. Anyway, a good 6 hours and massive disaster later I had 9 pints of apples for baking, 3 pints of applesauce, and 1 quart of applesauce.

I confess, the applesauce as supposed to be apple butter but I didn't let it get thick enough. It is fantastic though, I used it in my banana bread recipe the other day and it gave it a lovely cinnamon-y note. And the kids have been eating it for breakfast daily, I'm going to have to make more soon.

I still have visions of filling my pantry with home-canned fruits and veggies but I need to invest in one more large part, I quickly realized that I could have saved myself a lot of time had I not had to use 3 pots for my apples! Next on my list is pear butter and possibly some pickles if I can get small cucumbers in my produce box.

As for the dessert, I really wanted to give my apples for baking a try but I didn't feel like making pie crust. I just wanted a quick, warm, fall-type dessert last night and I knew a cobbler would fit the bill. I baked it in my pampered chef mini stoneware baker and it was the perfect size for my girls and I to have some last night and some tonight. The topping recipe will be enough for a 9x13 baking pan.
I had to use 2 pints of my apples for baking but I'm sure fresh fruit would work as well, just make it as you would a pie filling.





Fruit Cobbler Topping
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 tbsp. butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp. baking spice, apple pie spice, or cinnamon

Mix it all together until well mixed and drop on top of pie filling in equal portions. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.


Almond-Vanilla Whipped Cream
1 pint of heavy cream
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 tbsp. vanilla sugar (I just throw my vanilla beans into my sugar jar after I scrape out the pod) or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and 2 tbsp. sugar

Whip it. Whip it good. Sorry, couldn't resist. I whipped mine with a whisk by hand because I felt guilty about not going to the gym and I needed to burn some calories. If you doubt workout by whipping go ahead and give it a try, your arms will burn I tell ya, burn! Or you could just use your stand mixer or beaters like a normal person, just whip it until you have little peaks, we aren't making butter here!

Throw a pile of the whipped cream on the warm apple cobbler and sprinkle with some cinnamon. Savor the flavor of autumn!

Comments

Popular Posts