Another Cosmo Bag

I was browsing the awesome Cosmo Bags that other people have made and came across this one on Me Sew Crazy.  She added an awesome kangaroo-style pocket to the outside of her bag! Genius! Extra storage, easily accessible, a chance to use some of the cute bias trim that I've made.....of course I had to give it a go! And being the impatient person that I am, I quickly printed up her pattern piece and neglected to look at how she actually put it all together.

I spent a few (ok, 6) extra hours trying to get it right. The pouch piece was the easy part, I just cut out one on my exterior fabric, one on my solid handle fabric, and one interfacing. I followed the pleating lines, put on my bias trim, and sewed it right up. I didn't even think about how I would adjust the exterior piece of the bag that I would be putting it on. I didn't want to pleat it too, the thickness would be more than my machine could handle. What I ended up doing was pleating the other side as usual (I was only putting the pocket on one side) and tracing around it after I sewed the pleats in place. I cut one of the exterior fabric and one of the interfacing in this size. Then I just put the kangaroo pocket on it and followed the directions in the book for the rest.

Another change that I made this time was to make the outer side pockets shorter. After I sewed up the first bag I realized that they weren't very practical, they were just too deep to be really useful. So I shortened them a bit and they are perfect! They fit my water bottles just right. I also added a cell phone pocket to the interior again, I'd never find my phone in there otherwise. I also made some piping with my polka dot bias trim and added that, it looks cute. After I was finished I thought that it would have been a good idea to include a cell phone pocket on the interior of the kangaroo pocket...might have to try that out next time.

Again, the bag was enjoyable, took me about 5 days....probably around 14 or so hours total. It would have gone much more quickly had I not decided to do the kangaroo pocket my own way.  The fusing took the longest, or maybe it just seems that way because I hate ironing. But I stuck the ironing board next to the window that faces my backyard and daydreamed a bit while doing it. Mostly about what it would be like to be selected for Project Run and Play!

Anyway, here is my new Cosmo Bag, I can't wait to go somewhere so I can actually use it!






Comments

  1. love your fabrics, love your bag! Looks great with the kangaroo pocket! I am just amazed that you made not only one...but TWO! That thing took me forever to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! And thanks for sharing your awesome kangaroo pocket!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts